The Impact of Past Conditioning & The Power of Potential.
Believe it. Every one has greatness inside of them.
Whether we recognize it at the surface level of our thoughts, we somehow connect with this truth at a subconscious level and that is why I believe so many people enjoy superhero movies. We want to believe that we have the power of infinite potential. We want to be hopeful and have the curiosity of a child. When we were little, the world seemed to be our oyster where everything was possible. Somewhere inside of us, we still want to find a way to rekindle this magic and use pixie dust to let our dreams soar without boundaries. There was a time when we dreamed of being an astronaut, a ballerina, a firefighter or whatever else our heart and mind desired. We didn’t put limits on our dreams.
That came later. Maybe for some it happened far too early. In my opinion, the fact that it happens at all is wrong. It is time to change the course of past conditioning when parents, siblings, relatives, teachers or friends told you to pack away your silly dreams for something more practical and realistic. After all, who are you to have big dreams?
When people tell you that you can’t or shouldn’t do something related to pursuing a dream or a big goal, it really isn’t about YOU. It is about THEM. They are operating from their state of consciousness. They are projecting their fears and insecurities on you. Whether or not they are coming from a place of true caring, they are blocked by the concept of what could fail if you went for your dream and what they fear for themselves and you if that happened. Perhaps they believe it is easier to stay in the same unhappy place while still somehow secretly hoping for a different outcome. To me, this is the definition of insanity.
So what can you do to address naysayers and Negative Nellies?
1) Choose wisely who you share your dreams with and who you ask to provide feedback. Ensure that it is someone you trust and respect. Your dream needs to be nourished and protected. Share it with those that will help you cradle it until it becomes your reality. Pick at least one person who you know will encourage you honestly in positive, practical ways.
2) Listen selectively. People will offer their opinion freely even if you haven’t asked for input. I know that I’m not one who should be offering advice on car repair and therefore I shouldn’t try to help someone fix their car. Others offer opinions even if they are out of their league or depth of expertise. Should you take their comments to heart? Give them the attention they deserve based on how you feel about the person, how much you respect and trust their opinion and their knowledge on the subject.
What can you do to start move beyond past conditioning and start breathing life into a goal that you’ve kept at bay for too long?
1) Use positive affirmations. Believe that you are enough and you have the power and the potential to make what you want happen. With the Law of Attraction, like attracts like.
2) Consider your thoughts. Are they nourishing or harmful? Ask yourself, “Would I speak to my friends the way I speak (think) to myself?” Chances are that you would be more forgiving and understanding of your friends. It is time to do the same for yourself by exercising more self compassion.
3) Meditate daily. When you spend time going to a place of stillness, you connect with your true Self. Meditation has many benefits and in this scenario, you give yourself the gift of greater awareness, intuition and creativity to fuel your purpose, passion, and the processes you need to bring your dream to life.
I’ve just scratched the surface on tips to help you get started. Tune into my new internet talk radio show, Your Authentic Life on the Empowerment Channel of VoiceAmerica where I will interview Derrick Sweet, the Chairman and Founder of the Healthy, Wealthy and Wise (HWW) Corporation, and CEO & Founder of Certified Coaches Federation, one of the leading Life Coach Certification and Executive Coach Certification Programs in the world! My show airs every Wednesday at 2pm Eastern or 11am Pacific. Download the VoiceAmerica app to your smartphone or bookmark this URL on your computer today.