“Let others lead small lives, but not you.
Let others argue over small things, but not you.
Let others cry over small hurts, but not you.
Let others leave their future in another’s hands, but not you.”
The Challenge by Jim Rohn
MESSAGE FROM CYNTHIA BRIAN, Founder/Executive Director
The next few days are going to be ghoulish in more ways than one. In the midst of a pandemic, we will celebrate Halloween and brave an election. And for many states, we turn our clocks back an hour on Sunday.
Kids everywhere love Halloween, yet this year presents a challenge on how to provide fun and merriment for youthful vampires and witches. Neighborhoods are responding with social distancing activities while providing the ghostly experience for trick or treaters.
On both our Voice America Network radio shows, we share thoughts on ways to make this year meaningful.
For Halloween on StarStyle, tune in to https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/126203/nature-halloween-damned-if-she-does-friendship
For Halloween on Express Yourself! Teen Radio with a story of the Salem Witch Trials, tune in to https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/126523/halloween-and-tituba-the-intentional-witch-of-salem
In my garden column I suggest a Nature’s Halloween. You can read about how to do it here:https://www.lamorindaweekly.com/archive/issue1418/Digging-Deep-with-Goddess-Gardener-Cynthia-Brian-Natures-Halloween.html
As I write this, there are 8,835,393 diagnosed cases of corona virus in the US with 228,000 deaths. A surge of cases is rising as is the death toll. We must continue to wash our hands, wear masks, social distance, and be diligent. Despite the tragedy, many creative people have brought levity as well as awareness to this pandemic through song and dance. Below are a few short videos worth watching.
For the Longest Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpAKcQufacc
Coronavirus Rhapsody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ymMuCtowLk&feature=emb_rel_err
You are in Quarantine ( A “Dancing Queen” Parody) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDcg59Xzek&feature=emb_rel_err
How Can I Keep From Singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLPP3XmYxXg&feature=emb_rel_err
No matter what your political leaning, you have the privilege and responsibility of voting in this Presidential election on November 3. At the moment our wonderful nation is deeply divided. When you cast your ballot, vote for people who will save democracy, not destroy. United we stand, divided we fall. We are ALL Americans and deserve to be heard and understood.
Check out these videos.
International Leadership Award Ceremony: https://youtu.be/ymaWq5yZIYM
Well Done: https://digbysblog.net/2020/10/well-done/
Go from There (Sam Elliott) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Xufahbaq4
Give your kids a safe and Happy Halloween. Turn your clocks back on Sunday and take a snooze.
Take Jim Rohn’s Challenge. Wear a mask. Save democracy. Save America. Exercise your right to VOTE.
Stay healthy and sane and remember to have some fun during these times!
Be the Star You Are!®
PO Box 376
Moraga, California 94556
Five Components of Literacy
bu Stephanie Cogeos
Reading is one of the most important skills children can learn. There are five essential components of reading:
- 1. 1.Phonics. This is mapping the sounds in words to written letters. This is an early reading skill children develop. It allows them to understand the link between letters and sounds. Lack of instruction in phonics leads to difficulties in reading. Children have to grasp the fact that printed text represents the sounds of spoken words. There are a lot of ways to help a child develop this ability.
- 1. 1.Phonemic Awareness. You develop phonemic awareness by learning about sounds, syllables and words. Words are made up of units of sound known as phonemes. The word “crab” is made up for four individual units of sound: c/r/a/b. The word “shop” has three phonemes: sh/o/p. The ability to hear, identify and manipulate the individual units of sound is phonemic awareness. It is a fundamental skill in learning how to read. English consists of about 41 phonemes.
- 1. 1.Vocabulary. The more words we know the better one becomes at reading and understanding what we are reading. Reading a wide variety of books will allow a child to grow their vocabulary. The more words they learn, their vocabulary will grow and enable them to learn.
- 1. 1.Fluency. Fluency lets readers span the gap between recognizing a word and knowing what it means. Fluent readers do not need to concentrate on decoding the words on a page. They can focus on the meaning of the words and enjoy what they are reading. Fluency comes as a child develops the first 3 components listed above.
- 1. 1.Reading Comprehension. Great readers can become immersed in the stories they read. They can visualize the characters, hear the dialogue and imagine details that are not necessarily on the page. They can identify with the characters. In nonfiction, they can gain new information and link what they read with other sources of information and learn new ideas and concepts.
Available at http://www.btsya.com/resources.html
Stephanie Cogeos is the Star Teen Book Review Coordinator with Be the Star You Are!®
If you’d like to become a book reviewer, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When shopping use Amazon Smile: #StartWithaSmile at https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-3333882 and Amazon donates to Be The Star You Are, Inc..
MAKE A DONATION TO OPERATION DISASTER RELIEF TO HELP SURVIVORS OF THE FIRES AND HURRICANES!
Make a DONATION through PAYPAL GIVING FUND and PAYPAL with 100% going to BTSYA with NO FEES: https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/charity/1504
DIRECT LINKS you can use for Be the Star You Are!®
Positive Results: https://www.bethestaryouare.org/positive-results
About Us: https://www.bethestaryouare.org/about_us
How to Help: https://www.bethestaryouare.org/how-to-help
Contact us: https://www.bethestaryouare.org/contact
GREAT NON PROFITS REVIEWS: https://greatnonprofits.org/org/be-the-star-you-are-inc
We invite you to volunteer, get involved, or make a donation. Make a DONATION through PAYPAL GIVING FUND and PAYPAL with 100% going to BTSYA with NO FEES: https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/charity/1504
Checks can be sent to PO Box 376, Moraga, California 94556
YOU MATTER! VOTE TODAY FOR DECENCY!
ENJOY A SAFE AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN!